Skip To Main Content

Financial Aid

Investing in an education is one of the most important endeavors a person will make in their lifetime. Finding the means to fund your education can be difficult and confusing. 
The staff in the Financial Aid Office at Eastern Suffolk BOCES Adult Education is committed to assisting students and their families find financial aid resources to help fund their educational experience. The professional staff will guide you through the financial aid process and provide you with assistance and information to help maximize your financial aid opportunities. 
The Cosmetology course at Eastern Suffolk BOCES is eligible to participate in title IV financial aid programs.  Students attending the Cosmetology course may be eligible for a Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Loans.  Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans are awarded based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Eligible for federal financial aid:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Have a high school diploma, GED certificate, or recognized equivalent of a high-school diploma
  • Make satisfactory academic progress in his / her program of study
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan, and not have received an over payment on a federal grant
  • Be enrolled at least half-time
  • If male, student must be registered with selective service, or must be able to provide proof of exemption
  • Have financial need

ESBOCES Adult Education Cosmetology Program - Federal School Code: 015375

Completing the FAFSA on the Web:

Click to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.  If this is your first time completing a FAFSA application, it is highly recommended you print out and read the instructions provided.

The following is a list of items needed to complete the application. You may want to consider gathering these items prior to completing your 2021-2022 FAFSA on the web.

  • Your Social Security Number and your parent’s Social Security Numbers if you are providing parent information
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • 2019 federal tax returns (1040), including IRS W2 information for yourself and spouse if you are married. The same is required for your parents if you are providing parental information
  • Records of untaxed income such as worker’s compensation and disability
  • Information on savings, investments, and business and farm assets for yourself, and your parents if you are providing parent information

Your Federal PIN:
Apply for your Personal Identification Number (PIN) as soon as possible. If you were born after January 1, 1998, you and your parent will need to apply individually to obtain a separate PIN number. Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) serves as a means to sign your FAFSA electronically. 

Pell Grant:
The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students. Grant amounts are dependent on the student’s expected family contribution, the cost of attendance, and the student’s enrollment status (full-time, part-time or level II). The Pell Grant does not need to be repaid. 

Direct Subsidized Loan:
The Direct Subsidized Loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. No interest is charged while you are enrolled at least half-time or during deferment periods. The interest rate for the Subsidized Loan is 2.75% in addition to certain fees for the 2020-2021 academic year. 

Direct Unsubsidized Loan:
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not awarded on the basis of need. Interest is charged during all periods, including while you are in school and during grace and deferment periods. The interest rate for the Unsubsidized Loan is 2.75% in addition to certain fees for the 2020-2021 academic year. If you choose not to pay the interest on your Direct Unsubsidized Loan while you’re in school, the interest will be added to the unpaid principal amount of your loan. This is called “capitalization.” It will save you money in the long run if you pay the interest as it accrues on your loan while you’re in school or during the grace period. This is also true if you pay any interest that accrues during periods when you defer loan payments after leaving school or during forbearance. 

PLUS Loans:
Direct PLUS Loans are for parents of dependent students. Interest is charged during all periods. PLUS Loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. The interest rate for the PLUS Loan is 5.30% for the 2020-2021 academic year, in addition to certain fees. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • To be eligible for Title IV aid, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP).  All students must maintain both a qualitative (grade based) and a quantitative (time-based) measure of academic progress which is reviewed at the end of each payment period by the Financial Aid Department.
  • Students must maintain a 75% or better in each unit of study and each clinical rotation which is consistent with School requirements for graduation.
  • All students must successfully complete the program within the maximum allowable time of 1500 (150% of 1000) clock hours.
  • All students must complete Level I of the program within 675 (150% of 450) clock hours prior to advancing to Level II.
  • All hours attempted are included in the maximum time frame even if the student did not receive financial aid.
  • The consequences of not maintaining satisfactory academic progress is being placed on financial aid probation. Students will be eligible for Title IV funding for one payment period when satisfactory academic progress is not met as long as the forecasted maximum allowable time can be met by the student. Reinstatement of financial aid eligibility will be determined when satisfactory academic progress has been met.
  • Current students not maintaining SAP will be notified by the Financial Aid Department of any changes in their Title IV eligibility.

Additional Web Links:

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) To apply for federal student aid)  
Obtain information related to your federal student loans and for exit counseling
Electronically sign Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Additional student aid information
Occupational and worker requirements on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website.